Saturday, May 31

Summer Reads

Since my kitchen has been packed up and is ready to move, recipe posts may be on hold for the time being. To spice things up a bit, I decided to share with you my other love, reading. Here are a few books I've read recently just in case anyone was in the market for a new summer read. 

Although, I doubt any of these will be new or ground breaking discoveries as I tend to get my book suggestions from pretty common reading lists like this one, 50 books that define the last five years in literatureWhile this has been my go to reading list for several months,  I didn't just want to just replicate it here. It was though not to include Super Sad True Love Story, 1Q84, or Swamplandia on this list, but in keeping with the theme of TOAST, I  added a few foodie books that don't get enough attention. Enjoy!



The Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner // Thrilling, with a feminist vibe, and all why paying mind to art and photography. This book was written for a reader like me.

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt // Some have regarded this book as sad or depressing, but for me it was much more a story of holding onto hope, breaking conventional rules, and learning what it means to cope.

The Collected Stories of Lydia Davis // By far my favorite book of short stories in years. This would be a great book for the beach or keep handy when you are pool-side this summer!

How a Person Should be? by Shelia Heti // Comprised of transcribed conversations, emails, and plenty of narration, some have said this book reads like part literary novel, part self-help book, and part confessional.

Kerrigan in Copenhagen by Thomas E. Kennedy // At its heart a love story, this book also serves as a guide for drinking establishments in one of my favorite cities.

My Life in France by Julia Child // You can hear her voice coming through the pages as your read. I read this book on our honeymoon and it couldn't have been a better choice.

Gaining Ground by Forrest Pritchard // A very well written look into modern agriculture, and what it would really mean to quit your day job and become an organic farmer.

Just Kids by Patti Smith // Possibly the best autobiography I've ever read. Smith examines what it means to aspire as an artist during a time much like today - when everyone is creating something.

A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle // A ploy, heart-warming look into how living your dream may not actually be everything you thought it would be.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot // As much a probe into ethics and race as it is a captivating story of a tobacco farmer whose cells became a driving force in medicine.