Monday, August 11

Shrimp with Fresh Corn Grits

 

If shrimp and grits are available on a menu, you know that's what I'm ordering! From the Faded Rose in Little Rock, AR to Ella's in Tampa, FL I have favorites all over the place. Bon Appetit Magazine always has the best recipes, so when I wanted to make my own I started there - with this old recipe from September 2011. It was fine, but still not as good as what I could get down the hill at Faded Rose. 

Then last month, I saw their recipe for Shrimp with Fresh Corn Grits and stopped dead in my tracks. It was simple, straightforward, and classic. Last week we tried the new recipe and loved it so much I made it two nights in a row! 

To get the awesome flavors in this dish, you'll primarily being using seasonings you already have in the kitchen. It may be a little late in our relationship to mention this - but I have a thing for pantry staples. I love keeping a well stocked pantry so that when I set out to grocery shop I usually just have to pick up the vegetables and meat (if we are using any). Living in Florida, I am getting spoiled on the great shrimp and seafood we have access to - not to mention the farmer's market that is open seven days week for produce! It's going to be tough if we ever have to move from here!

Here, is the Bon Appetit recipe from July 2014 with the few modifications I made! Enjoy!

Shrimp with Fresh Corn Grits


 

 

Ingredients:

3 ears of corn, husked
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup whole milk
¾ cup grits (not instant)
2 tbs unsalted butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp smoked paprika and of cayenne pepper
1½ pound large shrimp, peeled
Fresh chives (optional, for serving)

Grate 2 ears of corn over a medium bowl, catching as much juice as possible; set aside. Cut kernels from remaining ear of corn into another medium bowl; set aside.



 

Bring broth, milk, and 1½ cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat so liquid is at a simmer and gradually whisk in grits. Simmer, whisking often, until grits are very tender, 20–25 minutes. Mix in butter and reserved grated corn; season with salt and pepper.



Fifteen minutes after you have added grits to saucepan, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook garlic, oregano, and paprika, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add reserved kernels and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and beginning to pop, about 3 minutes.



Add shrimp and cook, tossing occasionally, until cooked through, about 4 minutes.


 
Serve shrimp and corn over grits topped with chives.



Recipe Source: Bon Appetit Magazine