Sunday, March 15

Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwhiches

It's spring break, and this 80 degree weather was signaling for  ice cream. When it comes to sweets, my first love has always been cookies. My second is ice cream. 

Before bedtime, my dad and I would always either have milk and cookies or a big bowl of ice cream. Now when I eat sweets, my body automatically wants to go to bed. Does anyone else have this problem? or is it just me?

Here is the obvious answer for ringing in spring: Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches. For kids and adults alike, this combo is irresistible. Now you may remember, I have featured my chocolate chip cookie recipe here, but you can always do like I did and just pick up cookies from your local bakery. It'll save you time not only making the cookies, but then allowing them to cool.


No doubt these will be enjoyed in a hurry!

Ingredients

1 gallon of chocolate chip ice cream
2 dozen chocolate chip cookies
1 10oz package of bittersweet chocolate chips (optional)
1/4 cup of vegetable oil (optional)
sprinkles, toffee, or nuts for topping (optional)

Preparation

Lay half of your cookies flat on a foil lined baking sheet. Evenly spread ice cream over the top (I let mine set out for 20 minutes to soften). Top the ice cream with the remaining cookies. Place in the freezer for 2 hours. With a knife, trim the edges of to make the ice cream sandwhiches more even. Place back in the freezer for about 1 hour.


You can stop there, or continue with dipping the cookies in chocolate. Heat up the chocolate chips with the oil in the microwave for a minute and a half, stirring every 30 seconds. Allow the chocolate mixture to cool (I placed mine in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes). Then dunk your cookies into the chocolate, topping immediately with the treat of your choice.

These can be made 2 days ahead and wrapped individually for safe keeping.