Monday, October 13

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup


It feels like I have been on the verge of a cold for two weeks. My symptoms have gone back and forth, worse then better. Well somewhere between working 7 days a week, not getting any sleep, and eating like shit I have become sick. Inevitable, really. I'll be the first one to say it: I really should be taking better care of myself. 

After calling in to work I slept until 1:30pm. It was awesome. Then, I ran to the store to get a roasted chicken and made up a giant pot of chicken noodle soup. After tossing some things into my pot, I indulged myself with a LUSH bath bomb. I must say... A hot bath and bowl of soup can be pretty magical. 


My favorite chicken soup recipe is from Alice Water's The Art of Simple Food. It was over a year ago, I featured her Chicken Stock on the blog. I do like to keep chicken stock in my freezer all the time. It's perfect for days like today. Although I usually add parsnips and celery to my soup, today I wasn't in the mood for any extra chopping so I just stuck with basic carrots. Not only is this soup light and full of flavor, making it only dirties up one pot, cutting board, knife, and spoon. You certainly can't beat that when feeling under the weather. 

Ingredients:

3 quarts of chicken stock
2 cup of chicken, shredded
2 cups of egg noodles
1 large onion, diced
5-6 small carrots, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
2-3 small parsnips, diced
salt
fresh dill

In a heavy-bottomed pot, place your onions, vegetables, and salt. Cover with half the chicken broth and cook at a simmer until the vegetables are tender. 


While your vegetables simmer, shred your chicken from the bones. Picking out any skin or fat with your fingers.   




Once the vegetables are soft, add the rest of your broth, noodles, and chicken. Cook until the noodles are done. Taste and adjust flavor with salt as needed. 

Just before serving, stir in chopped dill.


This recipe was adapted from Alice Water's The Art of Simple Food.