Tuesday, January 7

Darling Magazine


It's time to talk girly mags because Darling has officially become my favorite. The magazine features writing, poetry, recipes, and plenty of fashion and beauty inspiration!

In their most recent issue, No. 6, are three great beauty scrub recipes! You'll have to buy the magazine to learn how to make a pumpkin-sugar or ginger coconut body scrub :) but let me tell ya - they look a-m-a-z-i-n-g!

I had initially thought I was going to make their Lemon-Peppermint Foot Scrub because I adore peppermint scents in the winter, but realized my grocery didn't have peppermint oil or sweet almond oil as it turns out. So I figured the olive oil I already had in the pantry would suffice - and it did! I went ahead and added a little honey because, well it's honey and I love it. So for all of your with dry ashies today - say no more! Here are two great recipes that will nourish your skin just in time:

Lemon-Peppermint Scrub
1 cup sugar in the raw or course sea salt
1/2 cup sweet almond oil
2 tsp lemon zest
Peppermint Oil

Honey Lemon Sugar Scrub
1 cup sugar in the raw
1/2 cup olive oil
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tsp honey 


On the difference in oils: Almond oil and olive oil both have skin benefits. As for the almond oil, it not only soothes and nourishes the skin, but plays a role in strengthening nails and cuticles (which is why it might be the better choice for a hand or foot scrub!)

Olive oil, on the other hand, has been used in skin care for hundreds of years because of its anti-inflammatory properties (like ibuprofen for your skin!), but it's the moisturizing antioxidants like squalence that make it an ideal oil to use in homemade sugar scrubs. (I feel I should disclose this knowledge was acquired while researching substitutes in the grocery isle. Just take it at that.)

Starting with the basic ratio of 1 cup of sugar or salt to a 1/2 cup oil, you can create and customize with scents and oils to come up with whatever scrub your heart (or skin) fancies!

So have fun with these this winter! Even get creative, and make some body scrubs of your own! The only catch is you MUST share the recipe with me :)