Thursday, January 9

Rye Chai


So if you visited at all during the holidays then I probably made you try my rye chai - even if just to tell me how wonderful it is. Don't ask why it took me so long to put two of my favorite things - chai tea and whiskey - together into one warm delicious beverage. All I can figure is sometimes it's just hard to see what's been there all along.

So here you go, coming at you for the very first time, a Rye Chai cocktail recipe:

Start with a basic chai tea recipe (like the one below). I love this one from the Kinfolk dinner in Ojai Valley I found on The Local Rose blog.

Chai Tea Recipe

2 tsp. black tea (or Roibois if you prefer decaf)
10 cardamon split open
1 cinnamon stick
6-8 whole black peppercorns
3 cloves
small chunk of raw ginger
1 whole star anise
1 12 cups milk (or alternative)
1 1/2 cups of water
2-4 tsp brown sugar or honey

Add the tea, spices, and water to a pan and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and let simmer for 10 minutes. Then add your milk and sugar. Turn the temperature back up to dissolve the sugar, and as soon as it boils, turn the heat back down. Filter spices out after 2-3 minutes. Then, simply add a shot of your favorite rye whiskey (we've been using Bulleit bourbon's rye), and serve in a mug with a cinnamon stick.

Chai Tea Recipe's Original Source: thelocalrose.com